11 month update. Fish and corals are fairly happy. The refugium is full of pods. I still need to get the green hair algae under control. Phosphate levels ~ 0, Nitrates ~7 ppm.
Wow has life been busy here lately. A few big deadlines at work due by the end of the year… hopefully after that I can get back into water world. I’m still changing water and doing routine maintenance but the hair algae still persists. Water tests this evening showed phosphates registering at ~0 and nitrates at ~7 ppm. The tank has been up and running for 11 months now and I’m hoping to hit the “less green” phase. 🙂
Here’s an update video of what the refuge and tank looks like:
This has been a great skimmer over the past 3 years. The only issue I have time-to-time is that after a power outage, one of pumps might have a difficult time starting. I run RO water through the air intakes once a week to keep them clean of debris. This video shows what happens to the skimmer after I change the felt filter pads in my sump. The skimmer overflows for a minute or so but that help clean out the collection cup.
Update: 4 months up and running (started ~ 1/1/2014). After planting the refugium with some Turtle Grass (Thalassia testudinum) on 2/13/14 I am very happy with it’s appearance. I can’t wait for the grass to spread throughout the bottom of the tank. The only issue I had with the turtle grass was a bunch of hitchhikers came with it (flat worms, bubble algae, aiptasia, etc.). After a few peppermint shrimp were added to the fuge the aiptasia were taken care of but only after feeding the aiptasia so the shrimp could find them. I used a turkey baster to suck 10-12 flatworms off the glass, really hope they don’t show up again but they might.
I took a couple quick videos of the tank yesterday. Everything has been up and running for about 4 months now. My nitrates and phosphates are settling down. The refugium is showing great growth in the bug/pod populations. 🙂
This video turned out a little choppy but I figured I’d post it anyway.
A meeting at the algae clip!
Between reloading and hitting the range this weekend I took a few update pictures of the tank. Oh and I also ordered a new BRS 75 GPD RO/DI 6 Stage Deluxe System as the Easter Bunny thought I should upgrade 😉 (it was actually about time to replace the membrane and filter).
As for the tank, everything seems happy. The Achilles and the Rabbitfish are even getting a long most of the time. It’s kind of funny but the leg that the Serpent Starfish lost is still moving round on the bottom of the tank. It actually looks like the starfish is growing another leg (pictures), I wonder if the leg will try to grow another body, lol.