After moving the tank and having one of the bulk head fitting break on me, I decided to remove one of my aquarium’s overflow boxes. This was not a fun process and took me a couple days of contorting into strange positions on a ladder. My hands and fingers were not happy!
Armed with 100 razor blades, a box cutter, and a few other razor blade type instruments I started in. Here are a few photos as progress was made.
I was trying to get a good video of the mantis shrimp breaking into a snail for lunch but instead he was curious of what I was doing and tried to sneak up on me. 🙂
Listen for it… Crack! Every time I hear this I go to make sure he’s not hitting the tank. Thankfully the 90 refugium is made out of half-inch glass.
Over the past couple weeks I’ve noticed a few crops of green hair algae popping up in the tank. My first reaction to algae is to check my water quality. After seeing my water quality seemed normal I was a bit stumped. So, I changed my RO filters (sediment and carbon) when I first noticed the issue, then changed my DI filter resin (even though my TDS was 0) here last week. Then I tossed out all my top-off water to start out with the “new” stuff. So here’s a picture of one spot where it’s kind of bad. It’s a little over-exposed but it highlights the algae. Hopefully after a week or two I will see a noticeable difference.
Happy New Year!
The Mantis Shrimp new cave system has been installed. My last post shows just the PVC.
Oh and here are a couple pictures of the new T5 bulbs installed and raised up 7 inches for the break-in period.
Thought I would toss up a couple recent photos. I really like the one of the serpent star using corals to climb the wall.
Well for the second day of Summer, the clams are looking pretty happy. The smaller Squami wasn’t looking too good last week so I pulled him out of the tank with a suspicion that pyramid snails were to blame, and they were. After removing about two hundred of them from the clam’s underside he looks a lot happier! 🙂 New wrasse in the mail today to help with the snail population, will put up some photos soon.
The other day I glanced in and noticed the smaller of the two Squami clams wasn’t looking “normal.” Usually during the noon hour both clams are soaking in all the rays they can from the metal halides but this time the smaller clam’s mantle looked a little sucked in. This is usually a bad sign 😦 . I’ve tested all my parameters and everything looks normal, no sudden changes. All I can do is hope that it pulls through.